The law school with a heart.
The USPF College of Law started when collegiate courses were opened in 1933. With the offering of complete collegiate courses in the Arts and Sciences, Education, Commerce, Law, and Engineering, the name, Southern Institute was changed to Southern College in 1937.
In 1949, the Southern College was granted the permit to open a Graduate School. Having attained university status, the name Southern College was changed to University of Southern Philippines on July 8, 1949. The graduate courses that have been offered since are: Master of Arts in English, Master of Arts in Teaching Sociology, Master of Arts in Teaching English, Master of Laws, and Master of Science in Social Work.
In 1989-90, the University President, Engr. Oscar Jereza, Sr. announced the decision reached by the Board of Trustees to temporarily stop operations in all levels at the Mabini Campus. This was aimed at cutting down on cost by concentrating in one campus; that is, the Lahug Campus. Recognizing the moral obligation of the institution towards the students, classes were conducted for all graduating students at the Lahug Campus during 1990-91. No new enrollees, however, were admitted to college.
By 1991-92, the university, under the leadership of the new president, Dr. Ronald R. Duterte, decided to reopen college operations phasing in the courses by year levels; that is, first year of all recognized courses was offered during this school year; first and second year by 1992-93, and so on until all years are opened.
In June 1999, the College of Law re–opened and a new graduate program, Master of Science in Environmental Management was offered.
The College of Law Department is currently located on the second floor of the Don Agustin Jereza building. All classrooms are fully air-conditioned with free wi-fi. The College of Law also has a moot court, a Legal Aid office, and the LEX Circle and Bar Operations office. The College of Law Library is also located on the same floor as the main University Library.
The College of Law Admin is spearheaded by Dean Alicia Evangelista Bathan with Assistant Dean Peter B. Cañamo and the Administrative Assistant Miss Judelyn A. Caballero. The College has competent Law Professors who are considered experts/authorities in their respective fields of law practice. This whole team revitalized the new USPF Law Family.
The College of Law has produced notable Law Alumni in the years of its existence. and one of these was the late Rene Espina who placed as one of the top ten (9th placer) in the 1954 Bar Examinations.
The College of Law (soon to be School of Law) offers Juris Doctor (JD), a non-thesis law degree. It has also adopted the August-June Academic Year. We offer flexibility of schedules. Students can choose between two (2) sections, one for weekday classes and the other for weekend classes. Students can also opt to mix the offered two sections. We are a Law School with a Heart.
Today, the College of Law has its sights on the vision of the Late Dr. Ronald Duterte, to be one of the top Law Schools in the Visayas and in the Country.
To provide (foster) a steady stream of competent and ethical lawyers committed to promote justice and safeguard the rule of law.
Juris Doctor (JD), a non-thesis degree. A graduate is qualified to take the Philippine Bar examinations.
Program of Studies
To equip graduates with excellent knowledge of the different legal intricacies not only of Philippine laws but of international scope as well.
For new applicants and applicants who have not completed the requirements, click APPLY NOW.Apply Now